Chef’s Assistant & Quest Improvements
Do you remember what you were doing 18 years ago? We do! We were helping to make a birthday cake for Duke Horacio in Cook’s Assistant, the first ever RuneScape quest. Now, all these years later, we’re ready to return to our roots with a long-awaited sequel!
Gielinor is a pretty sweet place, with loads of cool stuff to do and dragons and magic and nonsense and all sorts of nice stuff. But you know what it doesn’t have? Cheesecake! How mad is that? And it’s definitely about time we did something about it.
How to Start
Head to the cooking guild in Varrock and talk to the head chef.
Level 32 Cooking
Completion of Cook’s assistant
Chef’s Assistant, which launches today, is similar to Cook’s Assistant, with players helping Head Chef to master a new recipe for a top-secret cheesecake dessert to show off at the next ‘Cooks, Apprentices and Kitchen Experts Society’ meeting.
It’s a relatively short combat-free F2P bottle quest (one does not fight when cheesecake is involved) that’s available to all players with access to the Cooks’ Guild, which requires level 32 Cooking.
Once your cheesecake skills have been mastered, you’ll be able to make six different varieties (some of which make use of the flavoured milks from Player Owned Farm) with prayer restore and healing effects. As well as the Quest point, there’s also some very cheesecakey post-quest content and a new achievement to grab.
o coincide with the quest’s release, we’ve also made dairy churns available to F2P players, opening up the chance to make pots of cream, cream cheese and butter.
To get started, players must have firstly completed Cook’s Assistant (who hasn’t, right?). Then simply head over to the Cooks’ Guild in Varrock and speak to Head Chef to begin the quest.
Also incoming this week is the introduction of several under-the-hood changes to how we put our quests together. The impact for players won’t be glaringly obvious, but it will make the lives of our developers a little easier, allowing them to better bring their fantastic ideas to life.
For players, the more immediately noticeable changes include:
- Better quest sorting and filtering (including by starting area, release date and combat difficulty)
- More information on the quest overview screen
- ‘Next’ and ‘Previous’ buttons on the Quest Journal
- Improvements to the ‘While Guthix Sleeps’ and ‘Children of Mah’ quests
As always we’ve got a fine selection of patch notes, here are a few highlights:
- Graphically updating various Player Owned Ports Interfaces to be more consistent with our existing style.
- Fixed an issue with Solak’s kill timer not tracking and settings records correctly.
- Made some improvements to the interaction for the Archipelago Map in the Player-Owned Port.
- We have updated the interfaces in Player-Owned Ports to use the modern interface style.
- Updated the Flash Powder Factory reward shop interface to use the modern reward shop style.
- Updated the Duel Arena interfaces to use the modern interface frame style.
- Further updates to older dungeoneering interfaces have been completed. This includes the Floor Select, Complexity Select, Floor Setting, Boss Select and Ring Customization interfaces.
- Switching weapons quickly will now auto-switch to the correct action bar.
- Increased the damage threshold that spawns Manifestations on Solak phase 4, so that they don’t spawn so frequently.
- Worn Tetsu can no longer be traded.
- The Amare Pumps (Purple) should now appropriately be visible on the wardrobe
- Twitch prime loot will no longer get delivered whilst inside the broken home quest.
- If you have a full inventory when claiming Twitch Prime it will now also show an info box to to better display the info needed.
- The slider puzzle in a clue scroll will now update reliably.
- Gorajo team cards now work properly for Dungeoneering.
- Caviar can again be used to make barbarian mixed potions.
- Smithing a bronze dagger on Tutorial Island has been updated to account for bronze bars now requiring 2 tin and 2 copper ore, and a bronze dagger requiring 2 bronze bars.
- The quest journal now has next and previous buttons to cycle through previously viewed quests.
- The hitpoints of gem rocks have been reduced.
- Depositing full superior death lotus to the PoH Armour case via the bank will will no longer delete the boots & gloves when reclaiming.
- Attempting to load a Crystal tool seed from a preset slot will no longer disconnect the player
- Loading a bank preset with a noted object in the beast of burden inventory will no longer attempt to drop the item to the floor.
- Fixed an issue where you could not mine living rock remains another player has killed after the one minute timer.
- If destroyed after retrieving it from Zemouregal’s pedestal in New Varrock, heart in a canopic jar can now be reclaimed from Ernie.
- Trading Rune Bull Rush scrolls will not reward a more appropriate amount of Spirit Shards
- Using a farm animal on the paddock entrance will no longer cause a disconnection.
- Trapper farmhands will no longer occasionally be unresponsive when interacted with.
- Dwarven miners in the Empty Throne Room have now heard about the rework to the Mining & Smithing rework, and should no longer flail madly at the place where dark animica rocks used to be.
- Changed PoF trapper’s animal gathering timer from 30s to 6 hours.
- Removing animals from the storm barn can no longer cause a disconnection.
- Corrected values of (kp) spears in relation to their base variant.
- Custom fit masterwork armour checks for being on reaper or slayer task have been tightened and should no longer degrade whilst on these tasks.
- Fixed an issue with Solak’s kill timer not tracking and settings records correctly.
With this update, the quest system has had a script cleanup which has made things much nicer, additionally you’re now able to do the following!
Note: Big shout-out to the Localisation team, who over the last few months steadily worked through the *quarter of a million* word count this project added to the translation system due to all the migrated data.
- The quest list can now be sorted by:
- the area where you start the quest. (eg Lumbridge, Draynor, etc.)
- release date. Within a year they are listed in the order they were released.
- fifth/sixth/ambiguous age. Within an age they are listed in the order they were released.
- combat difficulty. (Into bands of highest NPC combat level.)
- quest series. (Myreque, Pirate, etc.) They’re in approximate chronological order.
- timeline. (For those that want to complete the quests in roughly chronological order (5th age before 6th age, banded by difficulty).
- The quest list now displays names in proper alphabetical order to match their position in the list. eg “Lost Tribe, The” instead of “The Lost Tribe”.
- Missing quest list entries for the Recipe for Disaster subquests have been added. These are hidden in the quest list anyway, but it allows them to be referenced by other systems eg achievements.
Quest Overview/Accept/Complete Screen
- The following information has been added to quest overviews: quest series and episode (where applicable), age, release year, recommended, voice-acted, members, length.
- Rewards are now listed on the quest accept screen and quest complete screen in a consistent manner.
- Quest rewards that the player will not be given (such as combat lamps and Treasure Hunter keys on a repeat playthrough after a quest skill/pure reset) are no longer displayed on the quest accept/complete screen.
Quest Start Icons
- Fixed a persistent bug where the most recent quest start icon couldn’t be removed from the world map if you toggle off quest icons.
- The Latest Content lozenge on the Featured tab in Adventures now has a consistent automated breadcrumb strategy when the latest content is a quest.
- The Set Active feature of the quest journal can now consistently breadcrumb to the start point of almost all unstarted quests. The button now also has a distinctive look when toggled between active and inactive states.
- The quest point shop portal previously just teleported you to the start of the latest quest without warning. It now checks the requirements for the latest quest and notifies you of where you’ll be teleported.
- Fixed various typos and inconsistencies in quest items, reward text, quest complete headings, and quest journals.
- Improved dialogue of Ilona who replaces Xenia at Lumbridge catacombs after Heart of Stone (her dialogue hadn’t changed to account for being a different character).
- Removed 6th age dialogue on the dwarf king in Birthright of the Dwarves and made the quest ambiguous age.
- Ikadia the exile’s 6th age dialogue topics now only appear after you’ve completed Birthright of the Dwarves.
- Removed 6th age dialogue on King Lathas in Plague’s End and made the quest ambiguous age.
- Changed 6th age dialogue (World Guardian reference) in Beneath Cursed Tides to only appear if completed the World Wakes, and made the quest ambiguous age.
- Re-classified the age of various other quests in collaboration with players.
- Added suggested requirements of Nomad’s Requiem and Nadir (unabridged) saga to Dishonour Among Thieves.
- Added suggested requirement of Dishonour Among Thieves to Evil Dave’s Big Day Out.
- Added suggested requirements of Rune Mechanics (because Kipple is a rune guardian and a player felt strongly about this) and Fate of the Gods (because elder gods for the same reason) to Heart of Stone.
While Guthix Sleeps
- While Guthix Sleeps currently has several requirements intended to increase its prestige at the time, but which aren’t needed for any narrative or mechanical reason. Inflated requirements make it difficult for us to build on existing stories, and many more Grandmasters have since been created, so this project trims back the requirements to what the quest truly requires.
- Removed the following redundant requirements from While Guthix Sleeps: 270 QP, Mourning’s End II, Recipe for Disaster, Summer’s End, Swan Song, Zogre Flesh Eaters.
- Added Wanted! as a requirement to While Guthix Sleeps, as it’s needed to talk to Sir Tiffy and be redirected to Akrisae.
- Added Nature Spirit recommended quest (for druid pouch recharge to make Ancient Guthix Temple puzzle easier).
- Added a 25 Agility req to While Guthix Sleeps, as you need it to jump onto the roof of Lucien’s chaos temple. (Defender of Varrock / Legends’ Quest ensure you’ll have 50+ Agility anyway, but added for safety’s sake.)
- Updated a requirements check on Radimus Erkle when starting Guthix Sleep which was inconsistent with the quest’s requirements. (The check for access to the Warriors’ Guild now passes if you have 99 Attack or 99 Strength.)
- The option on Ivy Sophista to continue ‘While Guthix Sleeps’ is now clearly marked, instead of being an ‘Other’ topic.
- Improved the hinting from Reldo to find the hunting expert in the jungle north of Oo’glog.
- You now have a knife on your toolbelt, so removed the message that says you need a knife when you need logs to set up a pitfall trap.
- Thaerisk was charging over 20,000 for his snapdragon seed. Set the price to a fixed value of 100 coins.
- Corrected Required Items in quest overview screen to more accurately reflect what items are needed.
- Removed this post-quest dialogue from Idria: “You should be proud…Since our lord Armadyl has returned to Gielinor, and defended himself against the murderous intentions of Bandos, such unity is more important and more fitting than ever before!” Since Idria dies during RotM, she cannot know about the Bird and the Beast event in the Sixth Age.
- The elite Khazard guards in Movario’s base are aggressive again, as was the case pre-EoC.
- Graphically updated the version of Turael recruited into the ground-floor octagonal room east of Akrisae in Falador castle during While Guthix Sleeps.
Children of Mah
- This Grandmaster Sixth Age quest is required for Sliske’s Endgame, and currently requires Koschei’s Troubles, a miniquest which requires Ritual of the Mahjarrat, a Grandmaster which requires most Fifth Age quests.
- This effectively means that Sliske’s Endgame requires most of the Fifth Age, defeating the point of starting a new age to reduce pre-requisites. To resolve this:
- A 6th age version of Kharshai has been added at the tip of the frozen area north of Rellekka, a reasonable distance from Koschei’s area, and a player can start Children of Mah by talking to him if they meet the quest’s requirements.
- Due to Balmung, Kharshai is associated with bane weapons, and when the Mining & Smithing project is released, this will be the primary banite mining area. He may also be used as the tutor for tuning bane weapons.
- Koschei’s Troubles is now a recommended instead of required quest for Children of Mah. You can still start the quest and access his dialogue from Kharshai in Rellekka as before.
- Updated Children of Mah’s quest journal where it refers to Kharshai’s location.
- Kharshai now offers to teleport the player into the ritual site instance (which if you haven’t completed Ritual of the Mahjarrat is the only way to access the ritual marker). Clicking the ritual marker returns you to Kharshai if you haven’t unlocked the ritual site.
To read all the patch notes click here
18th Birthday Competitions Winners
Unless you’ve been too busy mining and smithing your way to mastery, January was without a doubt one of our craziest month-long Birthday celebration ever. And it’s all thanks to the amazing memories, screenshots and art you shared with us as entries to the many competitions we’ve run during the month!
It’s always such a pleasure to discover your stories and the content you create from your adventures in Gielinor. We’ll sure keep them as cherished memories, even inspirations to help us build your future experiences in RuneScape. In the meantime, let’s announce the winners of our January Competitions!
- [Twitch] Ltd Ed Anniversary Max Cape Keyring and goodies – The_Fre3_Man247
- [Reddit] Fine Print Art of the Illustrated Map of Gielinor – Stronkness
- [Twitter] RuneScape OST Classics and Orchestral Collection – Gadgetphile
- [Discord] Signed goodies – unScript3d
- [Forums] Trip for 2 to Jagex – Geoxas
- [Player Gallery] 3D printed figurine of Hans – Milc (check out his amazing entry below, called “There’s no place like home…”). We would also like to thank Juelexi, Emelee, Lanigan, Well Miller and Trewavas for their superb entries, and reward them with 1 Bond each!
Your name is in there? Then congrats! If we haven’t contacted you yet, send us an email to email@example.com so we can arrange details. Again, we’d like to thank you all for participating! And if you’re not in the lucky ones, we’re still running a Premier Club Competition to WIN a Chillblast Gaming PC and 6 Month Membership.Top ↑
Our live streams are always a great opportunity to grab some awesome in-game prizes. Each and every stream watched will give you a guaranteed random drop from one of the following: Prismatic small fallen star, Prismatic medium fallen star, Prismatic small lamp, Prismatic medium lamp, Spirit Ruby, Spirit Diamond, Advanced Pulse Core, Spring, Silverhawk down, Medium DG Token Box, Small DG Token Box, Uncut Dragonstone, Large Cash Bag, Medium Cash Bag or Small Cash Bag.
Exciting isn’t it?! So don’t wait up – connect your RS account to your Twitch account and find out more here. Once that’s done, have fun and watch our streams during the day for a guaranteed drop.
Live streams this week
Each week, we host developer Q&As, exclusive in-game first looks and more. And it’s all live on our Twitch channel, join us! Missed a stream? Don’t worry, we keep them all on our YouTube channel. Be sure to Subscribe to be the first to know.
Tuesday, February 12th – 17:00 UTC (Game Time) – Ninja Highlight: Firemaking Improvements & Bounty Hunter Removal
You might not know it yet, but we’re planning to shed some new light on Firemaking (light, fire… sorry) with a suite of fiery improvements! These will include Incense Burners – dozens of potion-like items granting all sorts of buffs – changes to fire spirits, tweaks to the balloon network and some other additions. And this Tuesday, well, we’re giving you a first in-game look at them. We will also be covering details for the Removal of Bounty Hunter. Be sure to join us!
LootScape will be enabled (see all details above).
Sunday, February 17th – 19:00 UTC (Game Time) – PvM with Mod Lee
Our resident PvM expert Mod Lee knows no fear and he’s ready to take you all on another round of boss mass this Sunday. From Vorago to the Kalphite King, the Corporeal Beast, the Angel of Death, if you’ve got a set to complete, an achievement to unlock, or simply want to hang out with friends and slay some, this is the place and time!
LootScape will be enabled (see all details above).
Pink skirts Events
Of course, adventures continue in Gielinor even when we’re too busy (PKing) creating the adventures of tomorrow. Our PMods are here to welcome you in a range of PvM Boss Masses, Events and Q&As each week. Check out all the community events organised by the Pink Skirts on their official schedule here