Avatar’s Update #392: Play Release 80 Now! New Player-owned Town Teleporters! New Building Blocks Preview! Latest News Q&a Friday Livestream!
Greetings Fellow Avatars!
This week’s update reveals all the new Player-Owned Town teleporters! In addition to wagons, governors and stewards will also be able acquire and place teleportation Balloons, Hatches, Boats and Signposts! Also, seven new building block sets are currently in design and will become available soon! For those wishing to participate in any community activities, upcoming one-time and recurring community events have been announced! Be sure to also review the Players Guide and Known Issues list for additional information on recent changes and upcoming fixes. Now, let’s see what we have for you in this week’s edition of Update of the Avatar:
- New Player-Owned Town Teleporters!
- Latest news Q&A Friday Livestream!
- New Building Blocks Preview!
- August Login Reward: Giant Potted Sunflower!
- R80 Reward Program Login Items: Lord British & Flame Items!
- New Vault Round!
- Latest Store Additions: Stiletto Heels & More!
- World & UI Changes
- Crafting & Economy Changes
- Combat Balance & Changes
- Updated Player-Owned Towns
- Bug Fixes
- Double EXP Continues!
- Streaming Reward Program
- Recent Shroud of the Avatar Livestreams
- Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
- Upcoming Events Calendar
- Meretz: Win an Ornate Greenhouse 4-Story Row Home (No Trade)
- Community Event: Community Event: Catnip Games Weekly Fishing Tourney
- Community Event: 2nd Annual Team Fishing Contest Contest!
- Community Event: New Stream Announced by Oriayan!
- Community Event: Alphaine the Decoration Master Strikes Again!
- Community Event: Lys & Novia Market Enigma
- Project to Support: Jar Wars
- Project to Support: Dragonfight
- Project to Support: Crowfall
- Project to Support: Avatar Express
- Resources: Players Helping Players
As of Release 80, governors and stewards are now able to acquire and place Player-Owned Town (POT) interconnection teleporters as well as Player-Owned Town teleportation signposts! The interconnection teleporters allow for teleportation to another Player-Owned Town. Teleportation signposts allow for teleportation within the same Player-Owned Town.
The new interconnection teleporters can be placed anywhere in a town which permits land decoration, but the boat can only be placed on water. The governor or steward can then right-click the teleporter and select “Change Destination” which reveals a filterable list of all the available Player-Owned Towns present in the game. The teleporter can be directed to any Player-Owned Town regardless of proximity.
Once the destination is selected, the steward or governor then selects “Teleport” to assign the new destination to the teleporter. The teleporter is then ready for use, and any player utilizing the teleporter will zone to the designated location. The interconnection teleporter can be relocated and the destination reassigned as many times as the governor or stewards desire.
The new signpost teleporters can also be placed anywhere in a town which permits land decoration. Once placed, players can then activate the signpost to be presented with a list of teleport options within the town.
Locations selectable are typical to the static signposts already present in POTs, such as: Central, Town Boundary 1-4, Docks (if applicable) and the Town Crier. If a player renames the signpost then places it, that signpost name shows up as an available option for all signpost teleporters in their town. Selecting any of these locations does not cause the player to experience a load screen, the player will simply teleport straight to the new location instantly. The signpost teleporters can be relocated as often as the governor or stewards desire.
Also, these new teleporters will greatly reduce the number of manual adjustments developers are required to perform from service vouchers. The less time spent adjusting towns manually means developers will have more time to spend working on game improvements.
With the introduction of these teleporters, vouchers can no longer be utilized for new developer created POT interconnections, but players can still request interconnections to NPC towns using service vouchers until the NPC town teleporters become available. Novia and Hidden Vale POTs must be within close proximity to NPC towns to request an interconnection. Mistrendur towns are still waived from the NPC town proximity requirement since Episode 2 content on Mistrendur is still very much in design. All existing developer created POT interconnections are still valid and will not be affected by the addition of these new teleporter types.
These new teleporters have been carefully designed to offer some wonderful customization options. In addition to the aforementioned flexible placement option, all of the teleporters can also be dyed with primary and secondary colors. The teleporters also feature decoration surfaces! In the future, be on the lookout for Heraldry POT Teleporters and NPC Town Teleporters!
Latest News Q&A Friday Livestream!
Another weekly Community Livestream is this Friday, July 31st at 4PM CT on Twitch! Join Chris “Atos” Spears and other development team members for a community 1 hour livestream!
To enter the prize drawings, type “happy birthday Lord British” into any in-game chat channel OR make a purchase on the website add-on store. Please submit questions into Twitch Chat by inserting !question at the beginning of your text. Watch on Twitch, Friday at 4 PM CT!
New Building Blocks Preview!
Builders of New Britannia! Seven new building block sets will be added to your arsenal of construction materials very soon! These new blocks will come in the same 110-packs and size variants as previous block sets. These new AND old sets will no longer be limited to just property decoration. Going forward, ALL block sets will be permitted as Player-Owned Town decoration. Six of these new sets will arrive on the Crown Store, and one set will be reserved for crafters only. Pictured above, the displayed blocks are 4x2x2. From left to right, the new sets are as follows:
- White Marble
- Black Marble
- Polished Granite
- Fallow Granite
- Rough Wood (Crafted)
- Polished Wood
These new building block sets are just some of the amazing items coming to decorators in Shroud of the Avatar this year! Stay tuned for more great decorations in the months ahead!
August Login Reward: Potted Giant Sunflower!
Gardening time, Avatars! Now, with this wondrous Potted Giant Sunflower, players can enhance their gardens even further! Simply log in during the month of August, and this potted sunflower will become available in the Rewards Window.
Release 80 Reward Program Login Reward Items: Lord British & Flame Items!
- Lord British Plate Gauntlets
- Flame Trident
- Flame Cloak
The Shroud of the Avatar Rewards Program lets you earn the best rate on purchasing Crowns, AND receive monthly reward items! For the low price of $9 USD per month you will receive the following:
- 900 Crowns of the Obsidians every month
- Monthly Login Reward Items (3 per month)
- Exclusive Title every 3 months
- 3 Months: Keeper of the Faith
- 6 Months: Keeper of the Word
- 9 Months: Keeper of the Vow
- 12 Months: Keeper of the Flame
- 15 Months: Keeper of the Oath
- 18 Months: Keeper of the Pledge
- Pick any Dye 12-Pack every 6 months
- Pick any three of the 7 Obsidian Potions every month, including:
- Potion of Capacity: Increases carrying capacity
- Potion of Conservation: Reduces reagent use chance
- Potion of Expedience: Swift gathering on all gathering skills
- Potion of Precision: Increases Meticulous Collection to all gathering skills
- Potion of Preservation: Reduces armor and weapon damage
- Potion of Reclamation: Increases Salvage and Repair to all production skills
New Vault Round!
The current round of Vault items are available until Thursday, August 6th at Noon CT. At that time, the next round of 9 items will be available for two weeks, and then the next, etc.
- Black Clockwork Cat Decoration Pet
- Juggle Oracle Eyes Emote
- Blade of the Avatar Cloak
- Wood & Plaster 2-Story with Balcony Town Home
- Ornate Viking Chest
- Viking Tyr Shield
- Kobold Archer Mask
- Exclamation Stovepipe Hat
- Cloud Imperium Navy Airship (City Home)
Latest Store Additions: Stiletto Heels & More!
The new Stiletto Heels are a perfect addition to any wardrobe worthy of a night out with friends. Cooks now have a wondrous second option for a crafting station style — the BBQ Smoker Cooking Station! Just perfect for the outdoor BBQ with fellow Avatars! This new cooking station will become available very shortly. For the Avatars seeking to display pipes throughout their properties, two new Steam Pipe 10-Packs are available on the Crown Store! Thick and thin varieties of pipes can now extend throughout your dungeons, basements, homes, and towns as a wonderful display of technology!
- Stiletto Heels – Low Slung with Straps
- BBQ Smoker Cooking Station
- Aviator Glasses
- Horn-Rimmed Glasses
- Rectangular Glasses
- Round Glasses
Also, we’re scouring the realm for items that have long been missing from the store. Many items are being loaded into the Vault and will rotate in periodically which are announced each week as they go live, but here’s a small number of additional items becoming permanently available on the Crown Store:
- Construction Crane
- Construction Scaffolding
- Construction Planks
- Construction Stone Cart
- Construction Ropes
- Construction Barricade
- Black Ice Building Blocks
- Ice Building Blocks
- Dragon Helm
- Dragon Longbow
- Dark Unicorn Mask
- Black Horse Mask
- Aether Dragon Statue
- Aether Lich Statue
- Dark Thorn Wand
- Black Ice Wand
- Black Ice Staff
- Black Ice Elemental Statue
World & Miscellaneous Changes
These miscellaneous updates affecting the game world or aspects of the user interface (UI) patched in during R79, will go live with R80, or will go live shortly after R80:
- Timothy the Enchanter: (spoilers) Timothy the enchanter in Ardoris now gives a daily quest to collect bones from the Archlapin’s lair. This quest is available all year. Master quest designer Keith “Sannio” Quinn added this quest to further support all seasonal monsters having off-season quests.
- Love Letters: The daily love letters quest in Necropolis Barrens now has a much larger quest reward.
- Mistrendur Adventure Scenes: All of the adventure scenes in Mistrendur are now set for Episode 2 access holders only.
- Luminous Atavists: Once again the Avatars have pressed the Atavists into hiding. The Atavists will not be available until their season returns.
- Pumpkin Head: The notorious Pumpkin Head has returned! With his powers restored, Avatars will once again be able to face this gourd-headed being in East Vauban Foothills.
- Kingsport: This player village received interconnection boats as well as an Overworld access boat.
- The Brave Coast: This player village received interconnection boats as well as an Overworld access boat.
- Estercove: This player village received interconnection boats as well as an Overworld access boat.
- Port Mirren: This player village received interconnection boats as well as an Overworld access boat.
- Player-Owned Town Web Form: Town owners will now have a MUCH more efficient and less confusing form to complete when submitting initial set-up or change requests for Player-Owned Towns.
Crafting, Items & Economy Changes
These changes to the player economy, in-game items, or crafting patched in during R79, will go live with R80, or will go live shortly after R80:
- POT NPC Building Limits: The NPC building limits have been increased for Holdfast to Town sized POTs. See the player guide for more information.
- POT Container Limits: Megalopolis sized towns now have a container limit of 12.
- Ornate Giant Grim Reaper Statue: This statue has received improved VFX for the glowing eyes.
- Shadow Creature Loot: The shadow creatures of Spindelskog now drop recipes and Shadow Essences for 3 varieties of Shadow Potions.
- Ringmaster’s Vest: This new elusive artifact drops from Tier 15 ranged liches throughout New Britannia. Players will most commonly encounter these liches in Upper Tears behind the waterfall.
- POT Decoration Placement Now Allowed For:
- Rough Stone Building Blocks
- Dark Rough Stone Building Blocks
- Black Ice Building Blocks
- Ice Building Blocks
- Wooden Runic Letters Set
- Ornate Runic Letters Set
- Elven Essences: Buy orders can now be placed for these essences on player vendors.
- Custom Titles: Improvements have been made to the title mechanics to allow developers to send custom titles to players. Expect some of these titles to work their way into developer run community events as prizes in the near future!
Combat Balance & Changes
These changes to combat skills or concepts patched in during R79, will go live with R80, or will go live shortly after R80:
- Elixir Extension: This skill is now available and resides within the Tactics tree. The duration of consumable effects are extended. Training this skill untrains the “Elixir Receptive” skill in the Focus tree.
- Elixir Receptive: This skill is now available and resides within the Focus tree. The effectiveness of consumables is increased. Training this skill untrains the “Elixir Extension” skill in the Tactics tree.
- Bard Skills: Most of the bard skills received cast time reductions but also equivalent effect reductions. Stacking bard skills can produce equal effects and cast times to the previous versions.
Updated Player Owned Towns
These updates affected Player Owned Towns which patched in during R79, will go live with R80, or will go live shortly after R80:
- Allaman: Added interconnections.
- Arlia: Moved to Novia, east of Nightshade Pass.
- Caesaromagus: Added new hamlet southwest of Xenos.
- Crystal Cove: Updated interconnections.
- Dark Bayou: Changed to Swamp Island and moved offshore.
- Dragon’s Reach: Changed name from D’Jernstad. Changed biome to Island 01a. Moved offshore to north of Ulfheim.
- Goldfield: Moved to Hidden Vale overworld near Kingsport and updated interconnections.
- Goober’s Gas Station: Upgraded to Village. Changed biome to Forest 01b.
- Islands of Wonders: Upgraded to metropolis.
- Knightmare Falls: Added interconnections.
- Knight’s Watch: Changed to City.
- New Britannia Swap Meet: Fixed missing interconnections.
- Noshima Island: Upgraded to Metropolis. Added interconnections.
- Rock Ridge: Added interconnections.
- Sentinel Stand: Upgraded to Town.
- Sleepy Hollow: Added new Hamlet southeast of Brittany in Novia.
- The Fields of Misery: Added new village to Hidden Vale, north of Braemar.
- Twin Traders: Added to Hidden Vale overworld near Kingsport.
- Valor: Added new Holfast to Mistrendur.
Albeit many bug fixes patched in during R79, will go live with R80, or will go live shortly after R80. Here are some of the highlights!
- Fixed excessive damage from shadow creature corruption ability.
- Purify now clears corruption ability from shadow creatures.
- Fixed pattern names for Stiletto Heels and enabled masterwork/enchant option.
- Added banners to Spindelskog and Myrkur on the Overworld.
- Players can now only have a single “Summon Samael” whistle in their inventory while adventuring in Malice.
- Fixed issue where corrupted pet names could cause the client to hang at 94%.
- Restored textures to numerous magenta objects throughout the game.
- Various quests received typo fixes.
- Mesmerizing Melody no longer has a 100% chance to mesmerize targets regardless of level.
- The following items can now be placed on the floor in dungeons as decoration:
- Box Tent
- Carved Decorative Tombstone
- Wishing Well
- Water Well
- Ancestor Tombstone
- Stone Crypt
- Rectangular Tombstone
- Triangle Topped Tombstone
- Heraldry Polearm
- Ornate Scythe
- Ornate Scythe 2017
- The following items can now be placed on the bottom floor as decoration:
- Elven Elite Fighter Boots
- Hedge Spiral Tree
- Hedge Sphere Tree
- Flat Shovel
- Fixed an issue which caused Magic Mover/Property Manager stored properties to become hidden from view. This only occurred when the stored plot had zero items from the owner yet did have items from another resident on the property. Any plots affected by this bug will once again become visible in the stored property list after the patch.
- Quest flag improvements added to Confluence Chamber questline.
- Red cloth questline improved with better task clearing upon completion.
- The stairs in the city-sized shogun home now all feature the proper texture.
- Micsere Ingots quest has received greatly improved tasks and compass markers.
- The Oracle’s daily Virtue quest has been altered for improved functionality.
- Navmesh improvements were made to the Valhold tower location.
- Spawn location improvements made to Central Brittany, Storms Reach, Point West, Northwood, and Tartarus.
- Stair railings in Westend are once again attached to the stairs.
- North Quel Way NPC’s now have custom dialogue.
- Quest item loot options were improved in the war room of Understorm Gold Mine.
- All random encounters in Mistrendur now exit to Mistrendur instead of Novia.
- Additional ankhs were added to Lost Whiteguard Silver Mine so players can resurrect regardless of death location.
- Companion armor quests received significant compass marker and quest polish in the following locations: Storms Reach, Understorm Gold Mine, Longfall Woods, Resolute, Verdantis Foothills, Verdantis Mines, Desolis, and the Epitaph.
- Conversations for Conrad, Ariel, Fiona, Whitte, Pip, and Isabel Spalding were also improved.
- The Thin Pipe Set on the Crown Store no longer has 1 thick pipe piece within the set.
- Many inventory item icons were lightened for better viewing on darker backgrounds. This will be noticeable in player inventories and in the Crown Store.
- The Large Elven Tent inventory icon now matches the actual item.
- Many Crown Store items received improved descriptions.
- Duplicate character level-up chat messages have been removed.
- A failed reshaping of a Rotunda between the spawn options no longer consumes the Crowns of the Obsidian.
Double EXP Continues!
Head out into the lands of New Britannia and charge headlong into the dangers therein, Avatars! For the near future, Shroud of the Avatar players will receive double experience points (EXP) for their endeavors in Adventure and Crafting! Please take advantage of the extra experience points! Stay home, stay safe and explore New Britannia!
Are You a Livestreamer?
Soon, the Streaming Reward Program will be returning. As the details are getting reworked, we’ll reveal more information. Traditional streaming rewards included an exclusive in-game Streamer Camera for being a veteran of our Streaming Program! Expect the camera reward to return! More goodies will come to your way as the program fully develops. Thank you for streaming Shroud of the Avatar!
Recent Shroud of the Avatar Livestreams
Atos and other members of the Shroud of the Avatar development team go live very frequently on our TWO Twitch Channels: twitch.tv/shroudoftheavatar and twitch.tv/communityoftheavatar — be sure to get these channels on follow and get the latest information right as we go live! Also, if you’ve missed our latest streams, check out our archive of content at our YouTube Channel (complete with “Mojito the dog” cam). Like! Follow! Subscribe! Prizes!!!
Don’t forget to also join the Shroud of the Avatar team and community over at our other social media venues:
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ShroudoftheAvatar/
- Catnip Games Twitter: https://twitter.com/catnipgames
- Shroud of the Avatar Twitter: https://twitter.com/ShroudofAvatar
- Shroud of the Avatar Discord: https://discord.gg/GuBXakQ
Lord of the Isle Episode 2 Bundles
As one of the biggest and earliest supporters of Episode 2 you will be granted the largest lot deed in the land (Castle), the title Lord (or Lady) of the Isle, a tour of Lord British’s property, and dinner with the game leaders including Lord British himself! Only 24 of these unique bundles will be sold!
- Lord of the Isle Place Anywhere Castle Lot Deed: Tax Free Forever (when placed in a POT) and Tax Free for 1 Year (when placed outside of a POT). Placeable on water as well as land!
- Title: Lord of the Isle or Lady of the Isle
- Unique Lord of the Isle Home (pictured above)
- NEW – Town Size Upgrade (if a town is not owned by the LOTI supporter, they may gift this size upgrade to another town owner. Maximum possible town sizes will be taken into account, but the Megalopolis size just became available!)
- Choice of 1 House currently available in the store
- Castle Basement currently available in the store of your choice
- Castle Wall Set currently available in the store of your choice (with enough for Castle Lot)
- Unique Lord of the Isle Dungeon Room (To be revealed later)
- 140,000 Crowns
- 1000 Bank Slots
- Pick 12 Prosperity Tools
- Lord of the Isle Crown (In-Game Wearable Item)
- Unique In-Game Emote (To be revealed later)
- Early Access to Episode 2
- Episode 1 Box and map signed by the team
- 1 hour one-on-one with Chris for design discussion (via video-conference)
- One real silver ring crafted personally by Lord British: Numbered 1 – 8
- In-game version of the Lord British ring: Numbered 1 – 8 (including a place-able decoration version)
- Tour of Lord British’s property
- Fine dinner and drinks with Lord British, Darkstarr, and Atos at a location TBD in Austin or NYC.
NOTE: Digital items that are currently available will begin delivery as soon as Release 62 (Jan 31, 2019). Other items will be delivered at a future date TBD.
NOTE: Travel costs NOT covered by Catnip Games for Tour & Dinner.
Upcoming Events Calendar
Be sure to check out the Upcoming Events page for spotlighted events plus links to various areas to post or find events on our forums:
July 30 – Release 80
Aug 27 – Release 81
Sep 24 – Release 82
Oct 29 – Release 83
Meretz: Win an Ornate Greenhouse 4-Story Row Home (No Trade)
Whether you move a little or a lot, as a Meretz user you rack up valuable Meretz Points (MPs). The more MPs you have, the more stuff you can buy!
Think: in-game SotA goodies, Sweepstakes entries and tons more. With Meretz, we launch several sweepstakes every month. This month, we’re giving away a Ornate Greenhouse 4-Story Row Home (No Trade) to two lucky winners! AND, use your MPs every day for in-game items like potions and emotes.
What’re you waiting for? Download Meretz TODAY!
Community Event: Catnip Games Weekly Fishing Tourney
For the Anglers of New Britannia, a weekly developer run fishing event has arrived! These weekly tournaments start at Noon CT every Friday and will last until Noon CT the next Friday. Players may register towns to be put into a registry list which will dictate most of the venues available for the fishing competition. Every week, the venues shift to the next 3 towns from the registry. Also each week, a new spotlighted PvE and PvP scene cycle into the contest. Each category (POT, PvP, PvE) features different prizes and goals. All fish must be caught within the timeframe of the contest. Here are some of the details:
Largest Saltwater Fish (Town):
- Prizes: Player-Owned Town Row Lot Deed, Large Gold Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Must be caught from one of these towns
Largest Fish (PvP):
- Prizes: 2 Chained Obsidian Shard 3-Packs, Large Silver Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Must be caught in Paladis Shardfall
Largest Lava Fish:
- Prizes: Fishing Rod of Prosperity, Large Bronze Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Must be caught in Blackblade Foothills
- Prizes: Silver Fishing Trophy
- Rules: Everyone who submitted an entry that did not win an above prize
- No spinoff events submitted
Prizes provided by the Community Manager will be available for attendees, but governors, guild leaders and players are welcome to sweeten the pot by providing additional prizes based on objective criteria entirely of their own design. In fact, please consider planning events to overlap the duration and chosen weekly locations of the Fishing developer events. Please post these events in the in-game events forums and the Community Manager will promote accordingly. Expect a constant stream of weekly events, each to feature new locations and new objectives. Head on over to the Fishing Event Forum Thread for more information. Happy adventures, Avatars!
Anglers! The Second Annual Team Fishing Contest is nearly upon us! Phamyns and crew are planning a team fishing contest! During the week of the contest, the Official Catnip Games Fishing Tourney will be suspended to encourage maximum participation in this annual event. Many prizes will be available! Once players determine their 2-Person team, please contact @Phamyns on the forums or via in-game mail with your team name!
When: August 28th Noon CT to September 4th Noon CT
For more information about the contest, please read the main forum thread on the official forums.
Avatars, we have a new streamer tearing up the aether vibrations on Twitch! Oriayan is returning to Novia after a long absence. Currently Oriayan is completing the main questline and re-learning the basics of combat, builds, and crafting. Come hang out and enjoy the show!
When: Monday to Friday, 11AM to 4PM CT
Recent Video: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/688374302
To learn more about Oriayan’s stream, please visit his announcement post on the official forums.
Community Event: Alphaine the Decoration Master Strikes Again!
Art lovers and decoration masters! Come check out Alphaine Nine’s most wondrous decoration feat yet! An enormous castle lot has been decorated by Alphaine Nine and friends. Alphaine’s work is on the exterior, but please also take the time to explore the interior work as well!
Where: Brittany Estates, East Entrance
When: August 1st, 8AM-11PM CT
Players can also locate the house by accessing the Town Crier in Brittany Estates. Double click the crier, then in the available housing window look for the castle lot owned by CatherineRose. For more information about this event or to express your thanks to Alphaine, CatherineRose and friends, please visit the main forum thread on the official forums.
Community Event: Lys & Novia Market Enigma
The Enigma event is now live! The goal is pretty simple : 2 sheets with riddles have been hidden, 1 in Robyn Hood’s town Novia Market, the other in Lys Market. You need to find these riddles and solve the enigma. To enter the contest, you need to find both sheets and send your final answer via in game mail to Terrence Phillip (Co-Owner of Lys Market).
Ends: August 3rd, 9PM CT
Where: Lys Market & Novia Market
When we receive your answer, if it is correct, you will be entered in the lottery for a chance to win one of our awesome prizes! The prizes will be drawn the 3rd of August at 9PM CT! Bjorn Dyonisys will be conducting the drawing on his town lot in Lys Market.
Main Prize: 1 Row Lot Deed with a Viking 2-Story Row Home
More prizes and information are available on the event announcement post in the official forums.
Project to Support – Jar Wars
While you are delving into Virtual Reality (VR), be sure to check out this exciting and hilarious new game, Jar Wars! Our very own Darkstarr has been busy on some side projects, one of which is Jar Wars, a slapstick multiplayer game made just for VR enthusiasts. Battle your friends with wacky weapons and intriguing gadgets for total domination of the Moon! Available for free on Steam!
Project to Support – Dragon Fight
Darkstarr has also been hard at work with the team for Dragon Fight VR which recently went live on Steam! Dragon Fight VR is an internal experiment to capture the “essence” of a dragon fight, the classic penultimate experience of every fantasy story. We wanted to create a short visceral, realistic experience stripped of user interface, lobbies, scores, levels, and other visual intrusions that might distract. There were some key elements of fighting a dragon that we wanted to capture and we felt VR was uniquely qualified to convey:
- Face to face with a large scale hostile creature trying to kill you
- Using a sword and a shield
- Nowhere to run!
This started out as an internal experiment to learn some things about VR’s capabilities, be reductionist in our designs, etc. We felt that the experiment was successful enough to release as a free experience to share. Enjoy! Available for free on Steam!
Project to Support – Crowfall
Be part of shaping the next great MMO by becoming a Crowfall Backer! Crowfall is the first and only online Throne War game. You can win. Join intense PvP battles that demand strategy, survival and a fierce competitive spirit. Reap the spoils of war as an Eternal Champion!
Claim virtual territory on behalf of your guild or faction. Capture mines, mills, and quarries to secure resources, build castles, and besiege your neighbors. Scavenge artifacts and relics from the Dying Worlds and install them in your temples to grant blessings to your vassals. Capture lost spirits to do your bidding — or bind them into your weapons to infuse them with sorcerous power!
Project to Support – Avatar Express
I’m pleased to report that The Avatar Express is clacking away furiously. News is being delivered and we have established systems to deliver it directly to your brain. You can use one of those systems by following us on Twitter at @avatar_express. Even more reliable due to its fully automated nature is joining us on the Discord server. News items are posted there via RSS. Or you can subscribe to RSS directly on the site.
If you run an event, quests, etc, please consider helping out by self reporting. The Shroud community is big, and many things are happening that are never seen by others. With 10k monthly users, we would need a full time staff to track down everything that is happening.
You can fill out the contributor form, message @that_shawn_guy here or post in the Discord server that you would like to help. There is no committment once signed up, you can post as much or little as you like.
Writing up your own events has several benefits beyond the immidiate exposure. It serves as a record for others to see the history of New Britannia as we create it, in an attractive format. Publishing in the Express also has a higher chance than the forums of being seen by search engines and random readers, thus bringing more eyeballs and new players to the game.
It will even make posting in the forums easier! You can upload images to your news item, and then link to those images in your forum post. No more need for 3rd party image hosts!
So if you have something going on in your guild or town, or want to be a Reporter, Cartographer or Historian, please join us!
Resources – Players Helping Players
The official SotA New Player Welcome Forum and the Player Created Resources Forum have the best player created resources for Shroud of the Avatar, whether it’s a Player Written Guide, a Video Walk-through, or a Wiki-type Website.
Visit the official Community Resources page for a complete listing of all things community.